Sunday, April 28, 2013

Crab, Bacon, & Smoked Gouda Quiche

Day 28


Copyright, Doug Kapustin, 2013
Each state or region has some dish that it rallies around, and it’s no secret that crab dishes are Maryland’s claim to fame. The Smith Island Cake is another favorite here, I’ve noticed. When we lived in Virginia, I especially enjoyed making dishes that incorporated Virginia Country Ham as often as possible. Come to think of it, today’s recipe could be just as delicious if we substituted the bacon and salt for Virginia’s classic salty smoked ham.  Whatever the regional favorite, the central idea is to use it in interesting new ways.

Because I’ve been living in Maryland for about five years now, I’ve developed a taste for crabs. Honestly speaking, they are still not on my top ten list, but I do enjoy them more than before. I have tried many delicious crab cakes and crab soufflés since we moved here, and I find that most people prefer unadorned crab dishes in order to savor their delicate flavor. 

Today’s recipe is filled with delicious crab morsels, to be sure, but crab is not the only star of the show. My Crab, Bacon, & Smoked Gouda Quiche blends the flavors of the three main ingredients in a very pleasing way. Most of the chefs I enjoy following use only heavy cream and about six eggs in each quiche.  I have experimented with fewer eggs and different ratios of milk to cream, resulting in my definitive conclusion that six eggs mixed with just heavy cream make the best texture for a quiche. Also, most quiche recipes use Cheddar or Gruyère cheese, but I’ve chosen smoked Gouda because of the way it best enhances the crab and bacon flavors. 

I hope you’ll try the quiche with your friends and family and that it will become a dish you might choose to add to your personal recipe collection. 

Crab, Bacon, & Smoked Gouda Quiche
Copyright, Doug Kapustin, 2013

Ingredients:
1 9-inch pie crust 
1 ½ cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
6-8 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
½ cup chopped crabmeat
¼ cup finely chopped onion
6 large eggs
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 tbs. Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Place pastry shell in a 9-inch pie pan (or use thawed, store-bought pie crust already in pan). Place pastry pan on foil-covered baking sheet.

Beat the eggs with a whisk until smooth and creamy. Add heavy cream and continue beating until well blended. Add garlic and all seasonings, and beat to incorporate. 

Layer the cheese, crab, bacon, and onions in the pastry crust, beginning and ending with  cheese. Carefully pour the egg and cream mixture over the pastry shell. 

Bake for 45 minutes or until center is still a little bit jiggly but not runny. Knife inserted in center should come out almost clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. *Enjoy!

Notes: 
*This quiche is delicious served with roasted asparagus. I like Ina Garten’s recipe which can be found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parmesan-roasted-asparagus-recipe/index.html

*If you aren’t familiar with from-scratch crusts but would like to make one, I will again link you to the recipe I use most often. Ina Garten is my go-to chef for pie crusts, but I often leave out the sugar when I make the crust for savory dishes. Check out her easy recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-pie-crust-recipe/index.html


2 comments: