Saturday, April 13, 2013

Green Goddess Dressing


Day 25

The time for summer salads is fast approaching, so I think that this is the perfect day to share one of my favorite salad dressing recipes. Maybe you’ve heard of Green Goddess Dressing—that creamy, tangy, and basil-infused deliciousness that is perfect with almost any salad. Well, I’ve taken my favorite version of the recipe and changed it by adding cilantro and by replacing the anchovy paste with prepared horseradish. The result is very pleasing, to be sure.
Copyright, Doug Kapustin Photography, 2013

This dressing tends to thicken a bit as it rests, so it is also perfect as a dip for vegetables after its initial addition to your next salad. Sometimes, I even spread it on chicken Caesar sandwiches or baguettes, using it in place of Caesar dressing; it’s the perfect substitute!

I’ve always been a fan of cream-based dressings. More often than not, though, I make a traditional French vinaigrette to toss with our mixed greens each night for dinner.  I suppose I opt for the vinaigrette because it is fast, easy, and very healthy compared to creamy dressings. That being said, we certainly splurge on weekends and with company by making and serving my version of Green Goddess Dressing because it’s consistently pleasing to our dinner guests. 

When I was a little girl, my mother managed a diner in our town, and she bought ranch dressing from a local restaurant supplier. I remember loving the flavor of that dressing, as it was very different from Hidden Valley or other bottled ranch varieties. In fact, it was different than most ranch dressings I’ve tried since, whether from the supermarket or in restaurants. Today, I cannot even remember why I liked it so well, and I wonder if my tastes have changed so much over the years that I’d find it less than appealing now. I can only speculate that my taste for creamy dressing began as a result of the ranch dressing she served at the diner. 

Generally, when I make a heavy dressing, I serve it with a salad-centered meal. That is to say, this dressing might be best enjoyed with a chopped chicken salad or with a large dinner salad filled with your favorite fresh vegetables and salad toppings. Often, I pair the dressing and salad with a cup of homemade French onion soup and garlic bread. And, it’s always a hit to try making your own croutons for the salad. Since they can really jazz up your next dinner salad, I’ve included a quick recipe for them in today’s post too.

A dinner of soup, salad, and wine can definitely leave us feeling comfortably satisfied and ready for a decadent dessert. Mmmm…I hope you’ll give this dressing a try!

Green Goddess Dressing 

Ingredients:
½ cup chopped green onion, including green parts
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
4 tsp. chopped garlic
2 tsp. prepared horseradish
2 ½ tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 ½  cup mayonnaise
1 ½ cups sour cream

Directions:
In a food processor, blend green onion, basil, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic, horseradish, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add mayonnaise and blend again until smooth. Add sour cream and mix just until blended. Refrigerate until ready to serve. 


Homemade Croutons

Ingredients:
½ crusty baguette (day-old bread is best)
Olive oil
Italian seasoning
Sea salt
Black pepper

Directions: 
Using bread knife, cut baguette into bite-sized cubes. Place bread cubes on sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and toss bread to thoroughly coat. Sprinkle generously with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and toss again to coat.

Place in preheated 425 degree oven. Roast for 10 minutes. Turn oven to broil and continue cooking until croutons are golden brown. 

Allow to cool and use on salads. 

3 comments:

  1. This salad dressing is AMAZING!!! Ali brought it to work on Friday. I can't wait to make it at home :-) LOVE your blog, keep it up!
    -Val (from Taylor and Ali's work)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I made this today for my Mom's birthday! I made one slight modification by replacing the mayo with greek yogurt! (my sister has a thing against mayo) It was great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such encouraging comments, Valerie! I'm so glad you enjoyed the dressing, and what a healthy, good idea to switch out the mayo for yogurt!

    ReplyDelete