Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ice Cream Party Cake




Day 29

Ice cream is wonderful. I just love it. A hot summer day is always improved with an ice cream dessert, and the creamier and stickier the better. If you are ever in Fredericksburg, Virginia, there’s an old-fashioned custard shop—an institution, really—called Carl’s.
Copyright, Doug Kapustin, 2013
I read about it in a Southern Living magazine years ago, then I made the trip from southern Virginia to Fredericksburg just to try it. Believe it or not, the drive was worth it. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten homemade frozen custard so delicious. Consequently, I am always searching for homemade frozen custard and ice cream recipes to try, as our family enjoys making our own ice cream as often as we can. 

 Recently, I happened upon a recipe in Family Circle’s Best Ever Dessert Recipes magazine. It was listed under “frozen desserts” and is called a “Layered Ice Cream Cake”. It looked so spectacularly yummy that I decided to change the ice cream flavors and give it a try. 
I guess I should preface by saying that a food artist I am not. So, my cake isn’t nearly as lovely and perfectly symmetrical as Family Circle’s, but it was a first try and it still tasted incredibly good. I’m including it here so that you might also give it a try for your next warm spring or summer get-together. Once I made it, it disappeared in less than 24 hours. 
It must have been the irresistible combination of three well-balanced ice cream flavors, Oreo cookies, and ice cream sandwiches. How can we go wrong with those ingredients? The nicest part of this recipe is that it requires NO cooking. Personally, I’d rather cook than assemble since I have more confidence in my cooking than in my artistic ability, but I had a lot of fun trying this one for the first time. 
The basic premise is to begin with an Oreo bottom crust in a large springform pan. Then, the ice cream sandwiches are quartered to serve as the outside “crust” around the pan. Finally, the three ice cream layers are neatly covered with Cool Whip and Oreo crumbles serve as the end touches. Even though the magazine recipe did not specify ice cream brands, I chose really good quality creams that I would enjoy independent of an ice cream cake. After all, food is only as good as the ingredients we are willing to use. Personally, I prefer Talenti gelatos over traditional ice cream brands, although I’m also partial to Häagen Dazs. And, if I’m in the market for a store brand, I have to admit that Harris Teeter brand ice cream is really good. I don’t recommend making your own ice cream for this recipe since homemade ice cream tends to break down a bit faster than store-bought. 

I think you’ll have a lot of fun trying this one. Enjoy!

Ice Cream Party Cake
Ingredients:

Nonstick cooking spray
10 ice cream sandwiches
20 Oreo cookies
1 tbs. milk
1 pint Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Bean ice cream (gelato)
1 pint Talenti Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip ice cream (gelato)
1 pint Talenti Belgian Milk Chocolate ice cream (gelato)
2- 8oz. containers frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed

Directions:

Spray bottom of 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line sides with waxed paper, cutting to height of pan. 

Place 14 Oreos in a food processor and blend until fine crumbs form. Add milk and process again until fully incorporated. Set aside. 

Unwrap 5 ice cream sandwiches at a time, quickly cutting each into quarters. Stack strips of ice cream sandwiches on end, packing very tightly around waxed paper-lined pan. Repeat with sandwiches until a complete crust is formed around entire pan. Spoon cookie crumbs into center of pan and press firmly over bottom. Freeze for 1 hour. 

Let ice cream stand for 15 minutes to soften slightly. Spread the vanilla ice cream over cookie crust, making as smooth as possible. Repeat with chocolate, then raspberry ice creams. Spread Cool Whip on top of last ice cream layer, swirling attractively. Break remaining Oreos and use to garnish top of cake. 

Cover and re-freeze overnight. 

To serve, remove sides of springform pan, peel off waxed paper, and cut into generous wedges. Enjoy immediately. 

Note: 
In case you’re interested in seeing the original recipe and picture I used to make my version of the ice cream cake, here’s a link that might be helpful: 



No comments:

Post a Comment