Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sausage Bites


Day 27

Entertaining can go either way, I tend to think—relaxed and enjoyable or stressful and miserable. Naturally, the goal is to maximize the enjoyment, and I find that having friends over for breakfast is often the perfect way to do just that.

Copyright, Doug Kapustin Photography,  2013
For some reason, breakfast guests are more relaxed and ready to savor the subtle sweetness of scones or the creaminess of omelets as they sip leisurely on morning coffee. Personally, I love something sweet for breakfast, especially something homemade. In fact, I frequently make breakfast breads on Friday afternoons just to enjoy them on weekend mornings, as I sit in a fluffy armchair with my dog, Emmy, and read a good book.

That being said, I absolutely understand that many people prefer savory to sweet in the mornings. Serving a combination of dishes will suit every palate. I prefer make-ahead breakfast dishes for company, and I frequently make recipes that are just as good served at room temperature as they are hot. One such addition to a breakfast or hors d’oeuvre menu is a bite-sized treat made from biscuit dough, sausage, and smoky cheddar cheese. These Sausage Bites are the perfect accompaniment to your next breakfast or brunch with friends, and even for your next appetizer party.

Sausage Bites
Ingredients:
1 lb. Jimmy Dean hot ground sausage (UNCOOKED)
2 cups self-rising flour
8 oz. smoked cheddar cheese, grated
5 shakes Tabasco

Using clean hands, mix all ingredients until thoroughly incorporated. Form into bite-sized balls and place on baking sheet, two inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container. 


Chipotle Dipping Sauce for Sausage Bites:

Mix equal parts good quality mayonnaise (I prefer Hellmann’s) and chipotle smoked mustard. Add crushed garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment