Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fettuccine au Jambon

Copyright, Doug Kapustin, 2013


Day 14

Thinking back to my senior year of high school, I have many fond recollections. I made some of the best friendships that year as I began planning for college and the next chapter in my life. Probably some of the most endearing moments from that year were spent with my friend and cousin, Chris. Chris’ mom married my uncle that year, thereby creating an opportunity for our friendship to begin.

I don’t know how we started going exclusively to the same restaurant on our Saturday outings, but I can’t remember even one time when we chose another place to eat. Our Saturday nights were the same each week—dinner, a movie, then back to his house for SNL. We’d watch Saturday Night Live while trying to stifle laughter, although we still managed to wake Chris’ parents every week. I remember how patient his mom, Judy, always was when she’d open her bedroom door to ask us to try not to laugh so loudly. 

We’d watch SNL and eat our restaurant leftovers, sharing each other’s dinner orders. Chris always ordered pasta, ham, and peas in a delicious white sauce and I usually ordered pizza. Often, we’d switch take-out boxes at home and try the other’s food. 

I loved the pasta sauce that Chris ordered, as it was a tried-and-true favorite of customers at our local eatery. Years later, I went back to order it again, and it was just as I remembered it—creamy, comforting, and absolutely delicious. Trying to recreate it over the years, I’ve made my own version that is a tasty second.

Enjoy my recipe of ham fettuccine pasta that is still as pleasing today as it was almost 20 years ago. I’m so happy I can share it here. 

Fettuccine au Jambon

Ingredients:

1- 16 oz. box fettuccine, cooked al dente
1 lb. cooked deli ham, diced
1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups heavy cream
4 oz. cream cheese, cut in cubes
1- 10 oz. bag frozen peas
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tsp. white pepper
½ tsp. black pepper
Salt to taste

Directions:

In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add diced ham and brown until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cream cheese cubes. Stir until cheese becomes very soft and coats ham and onions. Reduce heat to low and add cream. Stir. Heat until all cheese is melted. Add black and white pepper, frozen peas, and salt. Stir until peas are cooked through. Just before serving add parmesan and stir. Serve over hot fettuccine. 

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious bio! Just read it, Mom. Street sweeping? Knitting pet sweaters? So funny!

    ReplyDelete