Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Let the Adventure Begin!


Day 1

Photo by Taylor  Fowler
I love food. There’s no better place to start than to share that very simple and scrumptiously undeniable truth. It’s because of my love for food that I have discovered the activities I most enjoy and have found a true passion that speaks to me and about me. Even many of my earliest and happiest memories of childhood involve meals—meals with family and meals alone; meals prepared by others and meals I prepared. 

I actually dream about food on a regular basis, and have found some interesting inspirations from my dreams, believe it or not. As a child, my tastes were, understandably, less discerning. I would eat anything set before me, and most of my choices were not healthy. As I’ve aged, though, I have learned to love many foods that are earthy and healthful as well as some that are rich and almost sinfully creamy. I have learned to appreciate foods made from scratch, and I especially enjoy incorporating the farm-to-table approach to my dishes whenever possible. Of course, I do my share of cheating here and there too, but the overall message I intend for my food to convey is one of fellowship, love, and comfort. 

Copyright, Doug Kapustin Photography, 2013

Over the years, I’ve discovered that food is the best mediator and the best peacemaker. Food brings cultures together and crosses barriers that conversations alone could never accomplish. Breaking bread has been a traditional means of fellowship as long as man has existed, and it’s no wonder that food plays such a valuable role in history, even in the Bible. Because there are countless chefs and cooks who have left upon me an indelible impression and who have inspired me with their culinary skills, I thought I’d focus on a few of them over the next year. My New Year’s Resolution, of sorts, was to share the best of the best in my quest for the perfect dishes. 


Copyright, Doug Kapustin Photography, 2013

So, ready or not, here I go, trying new recipes and sharing those that are staples in my collection. I’ll only post those recipes that are trustworthy, that work to inspire me, and that leave me wanting to try them over and over. 

Oh, and one more thing--many, many thanks to my very talented and helpful hubby, Doug, who has been so kind to take the pictures for each entry. His expertise and artistic style have been an inspiration to me. I hope you'll enjoy his photos in my blog, too. And, because we have to say this, remember that his images are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any form without permission. If you like what you see here, visit his website for more of his outstanding work, and not just food photography either! ( www.dkapustin.com)

Let the adventure begin, and Happy 2013, my fellow foodies!

1 comment:

  1. Wheeee! I'm equal parts "Maggie's recipes! Maggie's stories! RICOTTA PIE!" and "It's about dadgum time."

    ReplyDelete